Command Line Utilities
Communication & Connectivity
Database Management Systems
- MySQL – The world’s most popular open source database.
- SQLite – The most widely deployed SQL database engine in the world.
File Management & Manipulation
- 7-Zip – File Compression/Decompression Utility
- Attribute Changer – Right-click to change multiple file attributes (I use it for changing dates on multiple files).
- BRU – Bulk file Rename Utility. Free for personal use.
- Everything – A Very Fast Search Engine for Local Files and Folders (includes a simple HTTP and FTP server).
- FreeCommander – A Windows Explorer Substitute
- HFS – HTTP File Server (share selected folders and files)
- Treesize – Utility showing the size of each folder on a drive (useful for determining where large files are located).
- Unstoppable Copier – File copier that deals with CRC and other disk errors nicely.
Multimedia & Graphics Tools
- AVC – Any Video Converter – Convert, clip, crop, merge, and make audio adjustments.
- CamStudio – Screen Recording Software – Takes a video of your screen movements (optionally records voice).
- Cropper – Simple Screen Capturing Tool
- Exiftool – Reveals Exif details (settings) of multimedia files
- Greenshot – Screen Capturing Tool and Annotator. No “File-Open” option (configure Windows to “Open With”). Good for quick picture annotation/tagging.
- IrfanView – Full-featured Image Editor. Free for personal use.
- K-Lite Codec Pack – Video and Audio encoding/decoding package – includes Media Player Classic (concise alternative to big-name multimedia packages). I thought this blurb from K-Lite was helpful to describe what a Codec is:
Codecs are computer programs that encode or decode videos, and different codecs work with various video formats. Your PC may require you to download a codec if you try to play a video format it cannot support. High-quality movies could be encoded in formats that your OS doesn’t support natively. K-Lite [or other Codec Packs] is the solution to that problem. When you take a codec pack, you get a software bundle to facilitate the process so you wouldn’t have to find each individually.
- ScreenPal – Screen recorder/editor for Windows.
- SUPER – A Versatile Multimedia Encoder and Player – Requires only one simple click to encode.
NOTE: Be sure to click on the correct download link (there are a LOT of misleading ads).
Here is a clip of what to click on:
- [Online Tool] Advanced Subnet Calculator – CIDR & Subnet Calculator from SolarWinds
- The Dude – Network Management Software
- FastResolver – Name resolution tool (for multiple hosts). From NirSoft.
- InSIDDer – Wi-Fi network scanner (locate & troubleshoot WAP’s)
- PingInfoView – Simple multi-PING utility for quick “What’s Up” analysis. From NirSoft.
- Wireless Network Watcher – Scan/view devices on your wireless subnet. From NirSoft.
- Wireshark – Freeware Network Analyzer (aka “sniffer”).
- FreeDOS – A free DOS-compatible operating system for IBM-PC compatible systems.
- Oracle VM VirtualBox – Open source VM platform. Run multiple virtual machines (and OS’s) on a single physical machine.
- Ubuntu – A Linux Operating System
- AMP Calendar – Simple Calendar Tool – Shows 12 months.
- AutoHotKey – Versatile scripting tool for Windows – Assign scripts to a “Hot Key” or run them stand-alone.
- FreeCalc – A Nice Windows Calculator Substitute
- FREE PDFill Tools – Merge, split, rotate pages, etc. Excellent PDF utility.
- KeePass – Password Database – I used this freeware for years until switching to the more multi-platform friendly LastPass.
- PDFCreator – Freeware PDF creator – becomes a printer on your system.
- PureText – Clipboard “cleaner” that removes formatting of all copied text leaving only the text to be pasted.
- Simple Sticky Notes – A sticky notes utility I like to use – has a “always on top” feature I like.
- SP TimeSync – System Time Synchronizer (sync your PC time to an NTP server)
System Performance Utilities
- Process Explorer – Microsoft Sysinternals utility showing real-time process information.
- Process Monitor – Microsoft Sysinternals utility showing real-time file, registry, and process information.
- ProcessQuickLink – A “plug-in” for Windows Task Manager – Click “i” icon to launch the Uniblue web page showing information of each process.
- [Online Tool] Process Library – Database of processes running on your PC including warnings (if applicable) for processes that may be harmful.
System Recovery Tools
- Recuva – File Recovery Utility
- UBD4Win – Ultimate Boot Disk for Windows – Bootable CD image containing many system recovery tools.
Virus & Malware Tools
- Ad-Aware – Anti-Spyware Software
- AVG Free – AntiVirus Software
- Avira Antivir – AntiVirus Software. My favorite that I’ve used for years on our home PC.
Web Browsers & Tools
- Abyss Web Server – Web server with a tiny footprint
- HTTrack Website Copier – Copies web sites to your local drive (for offline browsing, etc.)
- WordPress – Web-based content authoring and management (install on your web server).